In theory, Florida has the perfect weather, demographics, and nature to be a bicyclist paradise. In practice, it’s the most dangerous state to ride a bike. A combination of factors makes Florida roads hazardous for bikers, including small roads, lack of infrastructure for bikers, and impatient drivers.
In many cases, motor vehicle driver negligence (i.e., recklessness, speeding, distractions, etc.) is the leading cause of catastrophic collisions with bikers. With that in mind, if you’ve suffered bike accident injuries due to the fault of another driver, you deserve maximum compensation.
Contact Schrier Law Group today to speak with an experienced bike accident lawyer. Continue reading to learn more about the dangers of riding a bicycle in Florida.
Florida Bike Crash Statistics
Florida regularly holds the number one spot for bicycle crash fatalities. This is a sobering fact. However, legislatures and law enforcement are working to create a safer environment for bicyclists.
Listed below are a few notable bike crash statistics in the Sunshine State:
- Florida bike fatalities account for 15 – 20% of nationwide statistics.
- 38% of bike fatalities involved a failure to yield the right of way.
- 64% of bicyclist fatalities occur away from intersections, where speeds are higher.
- Nearly one-third of bicycle collisions involve alcohol (including drivers and bicyclists).
- There were 6,399 bike crashes in Florida in 2021 (183 fatalities).
- 5,972 people suffered bike accident injuries in 2021.
- Miami-Dade, Broward, Pinellas, and Hillsborough are the most dangerous Florida counties to ride a bike.
Suppose you’ve suffered bike accident injuries due to the negligence or recklessness of a motor vehicle operator. In that case, it’s in your best interest to consult with a bike accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Is it Safe to Ride a Bike in Florida?
There are always inherent dangers if you’re riding a bike on the road with motor vehicles. According to the data, Florida’s bike fatality rate is three times the national average.
Cycling in Florida is much more dangerous than in other states. However, there are ways for bikers to decrease the likelihood of bike accident injuries. They include:
- Wear a helmet and reflective gear
- Obey the laws of the road
- Give cars enough space, and don’t assume they can see you
- Use your hand signals
- Ride with the flow of traffic
- Reduce unnecessary distractions (i.e., loud music, texting, sightseeing, etc.)
- Install rearview mirrors
Even if you follow all of the bike safety tips mentioned above, there’s still a chance that you will get into an accident due to someone else’s negligence. In that case, we recommend seeking immediate medical attention and contacting a proven bike accident lawyer shortly afterward.
What Are The Safest Places to Ride a Bike in Florida?
Overall, Florida is widely considered the most dangerous state for bike riding. However, some municipalities are leading the charge on bike safety in the state. They include Boca Raton, Venice, and Fernandina Beach.
Additionally, you can significantly reduce the chances of a bike accident by biking in the following types of locations:
- Designated bike trails
- Low traffic roadways
- State parks
- Cities with bike lanes
What To Do If You’re in a Bicycle Accident
If you’re a bicyclist involved in a collision with a motor vehicle, it’s recommended you take the following steps immediately preceding the accident, but not limited to:
- Collect evidence (i.e., pictures and videos) of the damage and injuries
- Identify eyewitnesses and obtain contact information
- Exchange information with the driver of the car
- Contact the police or file a police report at the nearest station (don’t admit fault)
- Seek immediate medical attention
- Stay off of social media until your bike accident case concludes
- Contact a Florida bike accident lawyer
Contact a Florida Bike Accident Lawyer Today
Suppose you’ve suffered catastrophic injuries due to the negligence of a motor vehicle driver. In that case, you can expect a lengthy recovery process, expensive medical bills, lost income, and many more consequences.
However, you don’t have to go through the process alone. Our bike collision lawyers are here to help you recover maximum compensation for your injuries, including damages for the following:
- Medical bills
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disfigurement
- Cost of property damages
- Wrongful death
At Schrier Law Group, our bike accident lawyers are compassionate, experienced, and aggressive. Don’t wait until it’s too late to pursue a bike accident personal injury claim in Florida. Contact us today for your free initial consultation with a proven bike accident attorney.