One of the most complicated and heartbreaking types of cases are the wrongful death lawsuits. These cases involve proving that due to someoneâ€™s negligence or intentional actions, your loved one has been lost. Not only are your trying to regain stability in your family after the death of a close relative, but you are attempting to sue for an amount that is â€œequivalent to your loved oneâ€™s life.â€
In order to help guide you through the process of a wrongful death case, youâ€™re going to need an attorney thatâ€™ll back you in an aggressive manner while you and your family recover. The Schrier Law Group has personal injury attorneys that will pursue the person or persons who acted with negligence in the death of your loved one.
What Types of Situations Call for a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
A wrongful death lawsuit can be pursued in any situation where a loved one is lost due to the negligence of another. Examples of this situation include:
- Automobile and/or Truck Accidents
- Medical Malpractice
- Boating Accidents
- Work Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Criminal Actions/Murder
- Defective Products/Improper Labeling
Regardless of the situation, if you have lost a family member due to the negligence of another person, then you are entitled to a wrongful death lawsuit.
What are you Compensated for?
The list of damages that need to be recovered for the loss of a direct loved one is almost impossible to put a price on. However, these damages are usually calculated based off of a few different variables. These include:
- Financial supportâ€” When you have lost current and future financial support as a spouse or child, we will do everything possible to get the maximum amount of compensation.
- Costs associated with deathâ€” Including medical expenses as well as funeral, burial or cremation expenses will be compensated should you be successful with your case.
- Pain and sufferingâ€” The pain and suffering of both the victim and family members is often taken into consideration when making this determination.
- Spouseâ€™s damagesâ€” We will fight to recover compensation for loss of companionship and protection as well as pain and suffering from the date of the accident that ultimately resulted in the death of your partner.
- Childrenâ€™s damagesâ€” When there are minor children of a decedent who died as a result of a deliberate act, we will seek damages for lost parental companionship, guidance and instruction as well as mental pain and suffering.
- Parental damagesâ€” When you lose a child due to someoneâ€™s negligence, we will recover compensation for pain and suffering.
- Punitive damagesâ€” Because someone acted in a manner that was considered intentional or grossly negligent, we will seek the maximum punitive damages under the law. Not only is this important for the family of decedents, but it also sends a clear message their behavior was